This week is the first day of winter in New Zealand, and boy is it getting cold! A chilly 15 degrees Celsius today!
Thankfully by the time the Tour kicks off we will have left these drizzly winter days far behind, and be basking in the glorious sun of the upper South Island. And in particular Nelson, known for its sunny weather and hops. A few more facts about Nelson:
- Nelson is the exact center of New Zealand
- Nelson holds the Guinness World Record for the clearest water in the world and now gazetted as such
- Nelson holds the NZ record for highest amount of sunshine in one month, and also in 1 year
- Nelson is the only major city in New Zealand without a rail connection
- Port Nelson is the biggest fishing port in Australasia
- NZ’s longest running annual Kite Festival is held in Nelson
- Nelson is also unique in NZ with 3 spectacular national parks all nearby, Abel Tasman National Park, Kahurangi National Park, and Nelson Lakes National Park
- The One Ring featured in Peter Jacksons The Lord of the Rings™ movie trilogy, was crafted by a local Nelsonian jeweler, Jens Hansen and replicas can be purchased from his store in Nelson.
On top of this, Nelson is a beer and coffee stop, famous for both growing hops and roasting coffee.